Wednesday, March 7, 2012

United We STAND, Divided We FALL

~ for my daughter, because I care ~

The most famous fable writers coined the title of this piece. His name, Aesop. His goal, to enlighten children and adults through short stories with morals.

Last night, my daughter with tears in her eyes, jumped up from the couch, exclaimed, "You've got to see this," and loaded this video onto my Ipad. Because I felt her emotion, because I trust her opinion, I watched, instead of going to bed. When she asked me what we could do, I said, "What do you want to do? You want to go to Africa tomorrow? You wouldn't last a day in that environment." She smiled, she knew. So, with good and pure intentions, I jumped on the band wagon. I ordered a kit and a t-shirt. I posted the following:

When I woke up this morning I decided to take action. I don't just want to "do something, anything."

My mantra: Help myself, help the world

I stopped my day of working for a piece of paper (bachelor's degree) that literally means nothing in this day and age, to do something bigger than myself, on behalf of invisible children -- the children of our own country. I watched the video again, took some notes, collected my thoughts. So, I write today not only for my children, but for yours, as well.

It's either right or it's wrong

Regardless of what anyone thinks, Jason Russell is a visionary, an idealist, a realist, a mover, a shaker all balled into one. He found a very clever way to prove his point. His son Gavin is innocent a child, who sees the world through clear goggles that haven't been dirtied by society. Children see in black and white. Children can tell the difference between good and bad. There's no need for justifications or in-betweens. It's either right or it's wrong.

JR: "Joseph Kony has an army. He takes children from their parents. And he gives them a gun to shoot and he makes them shoot and kill other people."

Gavin: "But they're not going to do what he says because they're nice guys, right?"

JR: "Yeah, they don't want to do what he says, but he forces them to do bad things. What do you think about that?"

Gavin: "It's sad."

There's good, there's bad and then there's UGLY

In the video, Jacob, a victim of Kony's terroristic regime, says he'd rather die than suffer, but his emotions show he is putting on a brave face. He has internal conflict because of external forces. He is weak on the inside, yet strong on the outside. After all, he is only a child -- a child forced to live the most brutal of lives over which he has no control. He must beat them, join them, or die.

I asked myself, "What happened to Joseph Kony to make him behave this way?" I answered, "He was abused as a child -- sexually, emotionally, physically. Maybe neglected." It seems to me that when human beings are abused they end up with four choices:

  • · turn the hurt internally

  • · turn the hurt externally

  • · overcome the hurt and do better

  • · end life

Joseph Kony's choice is obvious. He is single-handedly causing collective suffering because of his individual selfishness.

The ifs, the ands, and the buts

U.S. Senator, Jim Inhofe said, "Of all the problems that are out there, none is more severe than one that mutilates and takes the lives of little kids." "If we take the pressure off, if we're not successful, he is going to be growing his numbers. People forget and you've got to remind them and it takes numbers to remind them. And if interest wanes, then it'll just … it'll just go away and I'd end up standing out there all alone."

Isn't that how all victims end up getting hurt? Because they're standing alone. They have no voice. No one cares, really, unless it's about themselves.

Jason Russell went to the U.S. government, and their collective reply was, "There is no way the U.S. will EVER get involved in a conflict where our national security or financial interests aren't at stake."

Our country was built by some amazing, well-educated, enlightened men. They were products of the Renaissance. They were bleeping awesome. And what have we done to this fine land of the free, home of the brave? We've bleeped it up, folks. It's a frickin nightmare on Elm Street. We are all so caught up in the BS of our individual and collective lives, we can't see through the smokescreens constantly being hurled at us anymore.

Who's the pot and who's the kettle?

Our children cannot read very well. If they can't program a calculator, they can't do math. They cannot connect the dots. They can't sit still for 10 minutes without saying they're bored. And who's watching them while we're slogging through the muck and mire of everyday tediousness? No one has their backs.

They give excuses, justify their behaviors, are forced to meet ridiculous educational goals written by a bunch of Puffy McPuffersons with PhDs who last stepped into a classroom when? And who taught them how to behave this way? Hmmmm, I wonder…

Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything. --Alexander Hamilton

You may still be saying, "What if it doesn't work?"

I say, "What if it does?"

At this point, what do we have to lose?

Let's stop reacting and start acting

So, what are we going to do about it? Kony 2012 is not just important to the people of Uganda. What's happening in Africa is a horrific example of what's happening here in our own country right now. It's an issue that should pull on our heart strings force us to watch, listen, feel, and act before it's too late. We must all be Horton's standing up for the littlest of the Whos. We must take a look in our own backyards collectively, and then make individual changes.

We are a country that allows abuse, exploits abuse, covers up abuse, ignores abuse. We are a country that holds ourselves up to the world as a "land of opportunity," a beacon. And I say, "Why? How? WTH?" I know some of you are thinking this too, but it's time we joined our voices. We can't help the world if we aren't willing to help ourselves. We can't be that mom on the airplane that doesn't strap on the air mask before we save our children.

By the people, for the people

"It was the first time in history that the United States took that kind of action because the people demanded it. Not for self-defense, but because it was right," said Russell. Our government committed troops to assist in the capture of this madman because it was RIGHT.

Ready to rip off the band-aid?

Who: Us

What: A neo-Renaissance

When: Now, before it's too late

Where: Here in our own country

Why: Duh

How: By starting in the middle.

But we have some work to do first. I believe we need to address some issues at the individual level. Teach our children to help themselves. Protect them, love them, honor them. Deal with our individual and collective shit and then OWN our shit. Show them the way. Explain things to them so they understand these 5Ws as it applies to them. Borrow their goggles.

Reality check

When my daughter awoke, still blurry-eyed and disoriented from a fitful rest, she showed me a couple of links from three reliable watchdogs -- John Green Grant Oyston and Mark Kersten

Click those links, see what they have to say about Kony 2012 and the Invisible Children organization. You won't need any more evidence. These guys are trustworthy. Take some time to reflect, sleep on it. Talk about it at the water cooler. Then act consciously, knowingly, responsibly and willingly.

When I started writing this at 12:25 p.m. CST, Kony 2012 was trending on yahoo in 7th place. When I had looked at noon, Kony 2012 was in 5th, Snooki in 10th. And I called it, yes folks, I knew her "business" would overtake this powerful message before the day was through.

A grain of salt

I 'm aware of the time crunch here. This whole project has the possibility of being a one-hit wonder, a blip on our radars. But I don't want to see that happen.

I can hear my friends and family members saying, "There goes Kelli trying to save the world again. Remember what happened with Pennies for Peace?"

Greg Mortenson took an idea and ran with it. If you've read his book, you may have been inspired by his story. Sure he's a dreamer. But he's also a do-er. He saw those children writing in the dirt without a teacher and thought they deserved not only a teacher, but a schoolhouse, supplies, hope, an education. His story made me angry with my own society. We have classrooms and schools full of children who don't want to learn, don't think they need to learn, and aren't expected to. That's what makes me sad. Most of our children don't give a rat's ass about education because somewhere along the line, we taught them didn't or shouldn't have to. We said, "Take it or leave it." And they left it.

Don't shoot the messenger

Jason Russell is a catalyst for change. He might not have gone about it the best way, but at least he's trying. At least he's inspiring others to join a cause that promotes stopping atrocities. He has brought awareness to the forefront and we must grasp onto his coat tails and keep the attention on the children.

I, too, am a catalyst for change. The following post was in reply to another catalyst I know. Even though I don't always agree with her, I respect her right to have her own little corner of the universe where she can be herself, own her ideas, thoughts, herself.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one …"

Join my children and I. When you speak out, speak the truth.


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to leave this up, however, I am pulling my support of Kony 2012 for 2 reasons.

    1. I am a mother and Jason Russell is not.

    2. I read the following blogs:

    http://www.cihablog.com/whats-wrong-with-the-kony-2012-campaign/

    I checked his credentials. He's legit.

    http://lacigreen.tv/otherish/socialjustice/4019-why-i-dont-support-kony-2012#more-4019

    ReplyDelete